10 Things You Didn’t Know About Dean Helen Easterling Williams

Dean Helen Easterling Williams joined GSEP in August. She has been busy settling in to her new role, but recently took some time to answer a few lighthearted questions about herself and her life.

What was your first job?

Receptionist at a dry cleaners.

What did you do growing up that got you into trouble?

Fussed at a neighbor for not being what I defined as a good mother. My mother did not spare the rod and then sent me to apologize.

Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?

Angela Bassett

If you were a superhero, what powers would you have?

Some friends call me Storm, from X-Men, but I like Catwoman because she’s somewhat mysterious. Maybe it’s just because Halle Berry did such a good job with that character.

Who is the most intelligent person you know?

My brother Ricky. He could run circles around Einstein.

What is the worst gift you have received?

A fake rock in which to hide my door key—I thought, “Give me a break,” but then I locked myself out of the house. I learned to see every gift as having an immediate or future need. You live and you learn!

What’s your favorite family tradition?

Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Sometimes my whole extended family, and family friends who visit, will dress in formal attire for Thanksgiving Dinner. We have such fun helping each other get dressed and primped. I love when we exchange Christmas gifts. Each person has to sit on the “seat of honor,” and we shower them with gifts. Nothing of a significant dollar value—mostly it is gifts of remembrances of happy times and challenges overcome. This keeps us laughing and promotes the telling of our “oral family history,” an especially important experience for the younger children.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

A plate consisting of smoked salmon, hummus, boiled egg, red and green sweet peppers, carrot strips, fresh spinach with strawberries, and Bermuda onions drizzled with balsamic vinegar dressing, blueberries, blackberries, and pita chips.

What is your favorite time of day/day of the week/ month of the year?

Pay day—still getting used to a monthly pay period. Jesus is Lord!

What three items would you take with you on a deserted island?

Oh my! Water, blanket, and knife. Please don’t ask me why!