A Singular Effort with Significant Results

From left: Sandra Serrano (chancellor of the Kern Community College District), Coston and Kevin McCarthy (congressman and chief deputy whip in the House of Representatives).

After graduating from GSEP, I was filled with a passion to advocate for the integration of technology at all levels of education. My question and pursuit was, “Can one person make a difference in changing education?”

First, I became a member of the School Site Council for my children’s school which gave me access to the principal. I took it upon myself to share my love for technology and discuss the school’s future plans for incorporating technology in the classroom. This led to an opportunity to manage the Web sites for the entire school district, and an informal position demonstrating to teachers how to build their own class sites and develop ideas for using technology to teach more effectively.

I was also able to use my degree to benefit college students and educators as assistant professor of computer studies at Bakersfield Community College, the school which also honored me with the award for “Standout Colleague of Excellence for Online Teaching.” Around the same time, I delivered a presentation at Taft College on using Web 2.0 technologies to enhance collegelevel curriculum.

Through my participation in a selective leadership academy, I was able to travel to Sacramento, California, to meet with legislators and advocate for community colleges. The experience was exciting and opened my eyes to the work that goes on behind the scenes. Upon graduating from the academy I became a director of two of the Kern Community College district’s smaller sites, Kern River Valley and Edwards Air Force Base. In this position I have even more resources to lead change in education and advocate for technology in our schools.

So, “can one person make a difference in changing education?” The answer is a resounding yes. All it takes is a passion and will. Armed with both, I will continue to fulfill my mission to facilitate learning and technology so that every student may benefit, and in turn become leaders themselves.